|Autos | Hose Wagons | Ladders | Pumpers | Rescues|
Rescues squads started as fire fighting units after Chief Boulden was promoted to Chief of the Winnipeg Fire Department in 1928.
Here are 5 fire fighters wearing Proto and Mcaa self contained breathing masks, standing beside a LaFrance Hose Wagon in the 1929 Commemorative book for the annual meeting of the Canadian Fire Chief’s Association in Winnipeg.
|We also have another photo from the newspaper on August 29, 1928, that shows a new Reo Speed Wagon as the first Squad Wagon for the Fire Department, in front of No. 1 Station. This wagon also carried hose and ladders like regular hose wagons do. To add to the consternation, the 1928 License Registration shows the Reo firstly as a Rescue Squad and under this, it is shown as a Foamite wagon.|
|On September 4th 1928 City council awarded a contract to MacKay-Morton for the supply of two Foamite generators and one ton of Foam Powder, and it seems that the Chief decided that it was more important to have the Foam on the new truck, instead of committing the new truck for Rescue work.|
|In 1930 the Chief was allowed to purchase a Hudson truck that was made into the second Squad Wagon [Rescue] and it was converted to the shop supply truck in 1933 and remained as such until after the war.|
|In 1933 the City Council allowed the Chief to purchase a Diamond T truck from the City Hydro for $1000.00, which became the third Rescue No. 1 in the department. All of these early trucks bought for this purpose, were always designated as Rescue No. 1, until the 1950’s when the department expanded the concept with a second Rescue and later to 3, with one for each district.|
After amalgamation of the area Fire Departments, the concept has been further expanded to 4 in 1978, and to 6 at the present time, with two of the vehicles specifically equipped, one for Water rescue, and one for high angle work, as well as their regular responsibilities.
|Make & Model||Serial #||In Service||Info|
|#1 1st. REO MASTER SPEED WAGON||7R1970||08/1928||2 ton – 6 cylinders
Open cab – rear body on chassis built at Repair Shop also carried hose and short ladders as a hose wagon.
Converted to Foamite Wagon in same year.
|#1 2nd HUDSON||52184||1930||2 ton – 6 cylinders
Open cab – rear body built in Repair shop
Also carried hose and ladders.
Converted to service wagon in 1933.
|#1 3rd DIAMOND T||98196||1933||2 ton 6 cylinders
Purchased from City Hydro for $1000.00
Listed for Registration as a 1932 model
Converted to Hose Wagon # 4 in 1937
Used as a spare until conversion to a Foamite 1945 until 1955 when it was converted to a Deluge Wagon.
|#1 4th Diamond T||1936||2 ton 6 cylinders
Purchased from Bolton Motors with Ingersol-Rand compressor attached.
Purchase price $4122.00 with trade-in of Reo Speed Wagon Hose Wagon
Listed as a spare in 1961
|#2 Diamond T||1950||2 ton 6 cylinders
Purchased from Bolton Motors – chassis and cab only
Rear end enclosed with cab, built in Repair shop
Listed as a spare in 1968
Disposed before 1970
|#3 Ford||1959||8 cylinders V8 Automatic transmission.
Purchased as chassis and tilt cab, rear portion enclosed but separate from cab, built in Repair shop. Disposed before 1971
|#4 Ford||1960||8 cylinders V8 Standard transmission|
|#5 Ford||1961||8 cylinders V8 Automatic transmission
Listed as spare in 1972.
|#1 G.M.C.||1969||Gruman all enclosed with sliding doors.|
Autos | Hose Wagons | Ladders | Pumpers | Rescues
Archives | Apparatus |
Last Alarm |
WFD Pensioners | Sizzlin' Stuff | Contact Us | Site Map
Historical Society © 2001 - 04 All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.
For all site inquiries, please contact the Web Mechanic